What many people miss out on is the concept that marketing starts from the very beginning, deciding to hold an event. Most places just choose a date, time and cost and that is it, That is NOT how you run an event. A successful event starts with good, solid research, planning and marketing.
The first thing you need to decide on, is what type of shoot is it going to be. Having a theme or type will help set you apart, which is vital – USP
How to decide what type of shoot
The date you choose can play a part in it
Spring – Summer – Fall – Winter
Hunting Season – Competition Season
Big shoot coming up nearby, how about a tune up
The course set up can determine it
The terrain can determine
What is popular in your area can determine it
A Word About Types
If you hold a “traditional Only” shoot, do not expect a large turnout.
According to the ATA
75% of Archers use compounds
18% use Crossbows
that is 93% that leaves 7% for traditional archers
Now they also say 3 percent shoot both Compound and Trad
At max you are looking at ten percent.
Small market = small turnout
The next thing to do is to name your event:
How many shoots are there each weekend
If they all are just 3D Archery Shoots, how will you choose
They will go to the closet one
But a name will catch the eye better
It will separate yours from everyone else
People tend to go to and remember events that are different and having a name makes yours so
Once you know what type and have a name for it, then you can choose a date
The right date will help – Super Bowl Sunday
Check out what others are doing
Local, regional and national events
Remember Bob and how he had all those other options of what to do on the day of your event? Well choosing the right date will help to limit those.
Even what time you hold your event is marketing
Smaller time window, narrows the possible numbers
Cost is part of marketing too
Charge what you are worth, not what you think they are willing to pay.
Setting your event up from the start with marketing in mind will make it much easier down the road, so take the extra time and plan ahead!
Finally, if you can, schedule the same named event at the same time each year. Doing this will help to build recognition of it. And it will help to make your long term marketing easier.